Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Querulous Quandaries:

 A woman comes in the store the other day.

(me) let me know if I can help you.

woman looks around

(woman) You sure got a lot of books here.

(me) Yes, its a book store

(woman) Can I ask you something?

(me) Sure.

(woman) What is this?

(me)  Its a book plate See it had their name on it. People used to put them in their books  So a book could be returned to them. Its more classy than just having your signature scribbled on a page.

(woman) So, is this book stolen?

(me) No, I bought it.

(woman) But it belongs to someone else?

(me) Wellll, once it did.

(woman)  Aren't you going to return it?  I mean they'll want their book back, won't they  It still has their name in it.

(me) No, They won't care.  They're dead

(woman) Ohhh.  When did they die?

(me) I'm not sure but I'd say 70 or 80 years ago.

(woman) Well I swear.  That's kind of sad.

I don't think that she understood the concept of book plates, estate items or even death for that matter. Always something funny going on in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment