Monday, October 27, 2014

Querulous Quandaries: 



 I guess the only thing I can say is that the object must meet the period.  A quirky story and I don't think she ever really did understand.  Her grandmother wouldn't have known what it was either. lol

(me) Hi, Can I help you?

(woman) Yes, I'm looking for something. 

(me) What are you looking for? 

(woman)  I need a butter dish.  I real old one.  At least from the 1900's or earlier.

(me) Ahhh. You know you're the second or third person to ask for a butter dish this week.  Afraid that I don't have one of them, but what kind did you want? 

At this point I'm just making conversation and will direct her somewhere else.   

(woman)  Well I want an old one. 

(me) Well,what kind did you want? 

Then she looks at me kind of funny and in a  really pissy way says... 

(woman) HELLOOO... A... B-U-T-T-E-R dish.

(me)  HELLOOO...  What kind of B U T T E R dish did you want?  A round one for a cake of butter, one for a stick, one for a block of butter?  Did you want one made of metal, pottery, glass or porcelain?   

(woman) Well, I don't know, but I'll know it when I see it.  I want an old one that will hold a tub of Country Crock. One that will look pretty on the table. 

(me)  Well, you won't find an antique butter dish for a butter spread.  Maybe a crock with a lid but not a traditional butter dish.

(woman) I don't see why not! 

She got real pissy at this point. 

(me) Butter in a tub isn't gong to date to the 1900's or earlier. 

(woman) Well I can't see why not!  I mean butter dates back to the bible. 

(me) Yes, it does ( in a way)  but that's REAL butter and not a factory manufactured product like Country Crock.

(woman)  I just don't think you know what I'm talking about when I say butter dish.

(me) I guess I don't. Thanks for coming in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment